The 5th Barnstable District includes portions of four towns: Barnstable, Bourne, Plymouth, and Sandwich. Each of these towns has its own local government, which is responsible for overseeing municipal services and education at the local level. Here are links to the municipal government sites for each town:
24 Perry Avenue
Buzzards Bay, MA 02532-3441
If you are unemployed and need assistance, you may be able to apply for Unemployment Insurance benefits from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The following link has helpful information to get you started with the process.
Congress recently passed the Continued Assistance for Unemployed Workers Act of 2020, which will provide additional unemployment assistance to Massachusetts workers during the pandemic. As of this time, the MA Department of Unemployment Assistance is working with the US Department of Labor to implement these changes. More information can be found by visiting this link:
If you think you may qualify for benefits but have questions or concerns, please feel free to contact my office for assistance.
MassHousing and the Massachusetts Housing Partnership (MHP) provide a number of programs to expand the availability of affordable housing opportunities across Massachusetts, including rental and home purchases.
Here is a link to several sites for further information:
- Barnstable Housing Committee
- Bourne Affordable Housing
- Plymouth Affordable Housing Trust
- Sandwich Housing Authority
If you need help finding affordable housing resources, please feel free to contact my office for assistance.
Registry of Motor Vehicles
In Massachusetts, motor vehicle registration and driver licensing is conducted by the state Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV). Here are some links to helpful resources:
- Registry of Motor Vehicles Site: https://www.mass.gov/orgs/massachusetts-registry-of-motor-vehicles
- How to renew your driver’s license: https://www.mass.gov/how-to/renew-your-drivers-license
- Vehicle registration: https://www.mass.gov/vehicle-registration
- Identification requirements (“Real ID”): https://www.mass.gov/guides/massachusetts-identification-id-requirements
- Learner’s Permits: https://www.mass.gov/how-to/apply-for-a-passenger-class-d-learners-permit
If you need help with RMV issues, please feel free to contact my office for assistance.
Department of Revenue
The Department of Revenue (DOR) is responsible for overseeing taxation by the state and child support enforcement. Here is a link to their site:
If you need help contacting DOR and finding answers to questions, please feel free to contact my office for assistance.
Children and Education
There are a variety of state agencies responsible for issues related to children and education. Here are several useful sites:
- Massachusetts Department of Children and Families (DCF)
- Department of Early Education and Care (EEC)
- Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, Massachusetts (DESE)
- Department of Youth Services (DYS)
If you need help with issues involving children and education, please feel free to contact my office for assistance.
Veterans and Families
If you are a veteran, first and foremost… THANK YOU for your service!
Massachusetts has a variety of programs that are available to assist veterans in our state. Here is a link to some helpful information:
- Barnstable Veterans Services
- Bourne Veterans Agent
- Plymouth Veterans Services
- Sandwich Veterans Services
If you are a veteran and you need help finding resources, please feel free to contact my office for assistance.
The Executive Office of Elder Affairs promotes independence, empowerment, and well-being of older people, individuals with disabilities, and their families.
There are many different resources available, including assistance with housing and health care. Here is a link to the EOEA site for further information:
- Barnstable Council on Aging
- Bourne Council on Aging
- Plymouth Center for Active Living
- Sandwich Council on Aging
If you are a senior citizen or family member and you need help finding resources, please feel free to contact my office for assistance.
Contact Steve’s Office
If you have a constituent request or scheduling request for Steve Xiarhos, please contact Kaitlin Wright, his Chief of Staff, at (617) 722-2000.
Alternatively, please feel free to send a message using the form below. (Please note, messages to this account are normally checked only during regular business hours.)